Jena Alliance Life in Focus course: Effective visual communication of science
Dr. Jernej Zupanc, Seyens Ltd.
You will learn to effectively communicate your own scientific ideas and results by applying best visual communication practices to your research communication. You will understand the principles and useful design approaches used by experts. You will get actionable advice and feedback on your own pre-submitted materials. It is an immersive webinar, structured, easy to follow, memorable, useful and fun.
You will get feedback on your figures submitted ahead of the webinar. In an exercise, you will draw a sketch of your research (a graphical abstract), and discuss it with other participants.
- Communicating with scientific vs non-scientific audiences
- Visual perception and what humans find intuitive
- Colors: how to amplify, not ‘fancify’
- Visual organization: simplifying comprehension through structured layout
- Eye-flow: effortlessly guide the audience through the design
- Typography: how to achieve hierarchy, legibility, structure and aesthetics
- General design advice: approaches used by professional science illustrators
- Interactive webinar: fundamentals, real examples, and practical advice
- Commenting on pre-submitted figures: ahead of the webinar, you submit your scientific figures and I prepare a selection. You will receive suggestions on how to improve yours from the presenter and peers.
- Q&A discussion: we try to solve the most pressing issues you have with your science communication.
To register please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
First come, first served!